I began my Paleo Lifestyle on Jan 5, 2009. I went to my doctor for my yearly labs and asked that additional ones be done since I am doing a new lifestyle. Below are results of 7 months of Paleo. OK, probably way too much information, but this site is about exploring and being honest. Feedback would be deeply appreciated.
Below are benefits I am very grateful for so far (actually, nothing else concrete to fix — I am just trying to slow aging and limit possible future poor health):
- Weight: I was not trying to loose weight, but I went from a #195 (5’11” – 181 cm – clear love handles) to #165 (skinny). This is the weight I was at 25 years old. (I am 54 years old)
- Blood pressure: My blood pressure has returned to normal and I went off my meds I took for 4 years.
- GERD: My reflux is completely gone. I am off my reflux meds which I took for 10 years now. I can now have beer at night, lots of tomatoes, soup and much more without consequence.
- Skin: My mild, albeit chronic, skin rashes (Atopic Dermatitis and Rosaceal acne) has essentially disappeared.
- Tongue: Coat on tongue almost nil. This may sound weird, but in oriental medicine (in which I have a degree), tongue analysis is part of health evaluation. I had always had a rather thick white coat which goes along with stomach problems.
- Endurance & Strength: I no longer get winded when I run up 7 flights of stairs at the hospital. I lift more — not amazing though.
- Personality ! OK, nothing has changed there ! Same old guy
Below are my labs from 8/6/9. Normal values are in parenthesis. Older values are in brackets with dates. “Wow-Optimal” levels are in Blue, abnormal values in Red, mildly abnormal in Orange. I will include comments too.
Sugar & Inflammation Values
My values have always been fine but I expected much improvement here and we see it !
- Fasting Glucose: 97 (75-110) [85 -- 11/2007] — nice and stable even on low-carb
- Insulin: 4.0 (2.6-24.9) — nice and low
- CRP: 1.0 (<1.0=low risk, 1.0-3.0 – Avg Risk, >3.0 High Risk, >10 = possible acute Inflammation) — wow, nice and low (CRP = C-Reactive Protein, an inflammation marker)
Always been fine – I will have to read more, because higher protein and ketogenic diets challenge the kidneys but I have not read here yet.
- BUN: 21 (6-20) [10 -- 11/2007]
- Creatinine: 1.0 (0.7 -1.2) [1.0 -- 11/2007]
Lipid Profile :
Always been fine. This is something I really have to look into. I am already cutting back a little in fat. Note, since 2007, I have eaten duck eggs almost daily. My fat during these 7 months has been: 2 duck eggs daily, bacon about 4 days / week, 1-3 tsp of cod liver oil daily, olive oil poured on salads with sesame oil, teaspoon of coconut oil 3x/wk, lots of beef. I will have to start thinking about all this.
- Cholesterol: 337 (0-200) [WOW ! 176 -- 11/2007; 147 -- 9/1997; 141 -- 5/1994; 145 -- 3/1990]
American Heart Assoc: <200 desirable, 200-239 Borderline-High Risk, > 240 High Risk.
- Triglycerides: 59 (0-150) [59 -- 11/2007; 56 -- 9/1997; 51 -- 5/1994; 38 -- 3/1990]
- HDL: 83 [Improved, 64 -- 11/2007, 55 -- 9/1997]
- LDL: 242 (0-99) [100 -- 11/2007, 81 -- 9/1997] note, these Low Density ones aren’t separated out to small and large, so maybe I have few small ones (the bad ones).
American Heart Association: <100 Optimal, <129 Near Optimal
<160 High >190 Very High
- LDL/HDL Ratio: 2.92 (0.00 – 3.05) [1.57 - 11/09/2007]
- Vit B12: 438 (211-946)
- Vit D, 25 OH: 70 (25-80) — remember, I take 4,000 IU /day + codliver oil and it is summer time. Desired level 50-80 ng/ml.
- 25-Hydroxy D2: <4.0
- 25-Hydroxy D3: 70 — the good stuff, D2 not that helpful, from what I gather.
- Testosterone: 696 (280-800)
- TSH: 2.790 (0.270-4.200) [2.450 -- 11/2007]
- PSA: 1.210 [1.130 - 11/2007] (my Dad died of Prostate Cancer)